Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Pigeon Forge, TN - 2010 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, January 12 2010 @ 11:51 PM EST (Read 12060 times)  
JudyB

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee - Bald Eagle Cam

http://www.eagles.org/eaglecam.htm
The cam is streaming but doesn't have sound.
For WMP users try this:
mms://a507.l1972452506.c19724.g.lm.akam ... ctor:52506

Liberty and Justice, a pair of non-releasable Bald Eagles - female Liberty can only see out of one eye so lacks the depth perception needed to hunt in the wild, while male Justice was found with shotgun pellets in a foot and wing, resulting in permanent injuries that would keep him from hunting successfully. They bonded as a pair in 1993, and have successfully raised 14 of their own offspring and several foster chicks for release to the wild from hacking towers in Tennessee. Their three eggs were infertile in 2005; bad weather caused the collapse of their nest and loss of three eggs in 2006; and the one egg Liberty laid in 2007 was infertile - but in 2008 one of the two eggs she laid hatched, and Liberty and Justice successfully raised the resulting eaglet. They laid three eggs in 2009 but none hatched.

Based on past experience, look for eggs in late March, chicks in early May, and fledging in mid to late July. The chicks will be removed from the parents at about 5 or 6 weeks of age and transferred to a nearby artificial nest in a hack tower, where they will be released a few weeks later as part of the American Eagle Foundation's captive release program.

2009-2010 Season:

• They had problems with their cam and did not stream this year. Liberty and Justice laid two eggs, both of which turned out to be non-fertile. Two chicks were fostered into their nest on April 11, but there has not been any additional information posted about them as of late August.

(screencap by gogee, May 12, 2008)

Link to last year's thread for the Pigeon Forge bald eagle cam

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: seahorse () on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 07:44 PM EDT  
Anonymous: seahorse

Happy spring and eagle season!! Just checking in to see if there have been any updates here. Usually this cam is up by now. Thanks.

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 07 2010 @ 07:50 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome, seahorse! Welcome

I sent them an email a week or two ago, and didn't get an answer - not sure if it went to the right person, and I think I do have a contact there somewhere. Will try to do some checking, as it is indeed about the time the cam has been turned on in previous years.

I'd also like to see how this pair is doing. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, April 15 2010 @ 10:38 PM EDT  
JudyB

There's no cam here yet - but there's news....

From the American Eagle Foundation Nest Cam page:
Pigeon Forge, TN, April 14, 2010 -- Two Bald Eaglets recently hatched in an incubator at the American Eagle Foundation's United States Eagle Center at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, TN. At 3-days old, the eagle chicks were placed in the nest of captive non-releasable Bald Eagle pair "Liberty" and "Justice" for adoptive rearing until they reach 6 weeks of age. At that time, the eaglets will be placed into an artificial nesting tower over-looking Douglas Lake in Dandridge, TN, where they will be cared for by AEF staff until they are released into the foothills of the Great Smokies at 12 weeks of age (when they reach full size). The young birds will be named at the time of their release. The non-profit conservation group is celebrating its 25th Anniversary (www.eagles.org).

Photo by Al Cecere. Copyright 2010 by American Eagle Foundation.

I do wonder how/why the eggs arrived in an incubator - but I do know that while Liberty and Justice are senior eagles, they are really good and caring parents - so I know they will do a good job of raising their new "offspring" - and I hope we'll get to watch.

The post on their website goes on to say that their eagle cam is experiencing technical difficulties, and they hope to be back on line soon.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: seahorse () on Friday, April 16 2010 @ 12:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous: seahorse

Thanks for your reply!!! I have been trying to remember to check. I haven't looked in a few days and missed this update. I am wondering if this is the first year that she hasn't laid any eggs. I also am wondering why the incubater, I haven't read everything, but maybe something happened to the parents? If not, why would they remove them from the parents? I always have so many more questions with this place than I do answers. I seem to be able to find answers with the other sites, but not this one. Is it just me? Thank you vey much, I really appreciate all your knowledge and time with these beauties.

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 16 2010 @ 01:04 AM EDT  
JudyB

I have some of the same questions, seahorse. I haven't had much luck getting answers this year - but now that I have new questions, I'll see what I can find. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, April 16 2010 @ 02:20 AM EDT  
MaryF

Thank You for the update, JudyB. I've been wondering what happened at Pigeon Forge this year. I did check the site just the other day and there was no update at that time. I must admit that I was thinking the worst knowing that they are seniors. I'm sure glad to hear that things are OK. Wish they would get that cam fixed so we could get a peek!!! Nodding yes

AKA purpleagle

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Diana-gogee (offline) on Friday, April 16 2010 @ 09:44 AM EDT  
Diana-gogee

Thank You JudyB for the info. This is a very special nest for me love Hope we will be able to see Liberty and Justice care for the chicks Wub I am sure they will do great Left thumb up

Remember...
I named this chick "Hope" June 3th 2008
Click on image to download

We shall overcome and I believe in miracles!

DIANA
Toronto, CANADA

Forum

Toronto

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate